Plant and microbial science resources
Over the years we have created a variety of plant and microbial science resources designed for scientists of all ages.
We are delighted to be able to offer them as activities and articles to help with remote learning.
On this page you will find our blogs (broken down into categories) as well as a range of scientific activities you can do at home and even a game.
We will continue to update these lists each week, so be sure to bookmark this page to look back on for reference.
Biology activities to do at home (PDFs and videos)
- Making bioplastics (250kb)
- Extracting DNA from strawberries (143kb)
- Extracting DNA from tomatoes (video)
- Exploring leaves (330kb)
- Visualise xylem (133kb)
- Dying wool with fungi (162kb)
- Plants v pests game (1mb)
- Pest Detectives (video)
- Dippy the Dinosaur; how plants evolved on land (video) and ‘Evolution of plants’ activity sheet (520kb)
- Women of the Future videos
- Meet the Professor Barrie Wilkinson lab, who research the discovery and biosynthesis of microbial natural products (video)
Plant and microbial blogs
Since August 2017, we have brought you a weekly blog, covering a range of topics.
The topics have varied from the broad scientific, such as; what is plant science, what is microbial science, what is plant transformation. Through to more specific scientific questions like; why are plants green or how do plants breathe.
We’ve also introduced some of our people and services, trying to showcase careers, the sometimes unheralded people, success stories and the teams behind the scenes. All of these people allow us to do world-leading plant and microbial research.
Added to all our news stories and press releases, we now feel we have now built a valuable resource, which we’d like to make it easier for everyone to use. To do this, we have grouped all of them by a range of topics, allowing you to see and read everything we have produced in areas that are of interest you.
All you need to do now, is click on the category below to be taken to the blogs about that topic.
- Anti-Microbial Resistance
- Curiosity-driven research
- Plant health
- Vernalization and how plants remember
- Food security
- Genetic technology
- Meet the Molecules
Help and advice
Life at the John Innes Centre
- Historical collections
- Equality and Inclusivity
- The Director’s blog
If you think that there’s a category missing, or if you have an idea for a blog get in touch and we’ll see what we can do.