Prof Mark Banfield
Head of Department
Mark’s research focuses on plant/pathogen interactions at the molecular and cellular level.
Mark explores the structure and function of intracellular disease resistance proteins (NLRs) - plant receptors which detect non-self molecules released by pathogens on infection.
He also investigates how host-translocated pathogen effector proteins function to promote disease. Understanding the genetic and structural changes involved in plant/pathogen interactions informs novel approaches to the challenge of breeding disease resistance in crops such as potato and rice.
- Intracellular plant receptors (NLRs) for disease resistance, including engineering
- How host-translocated pathogen proteins (effectors) promote disease
- Understanding the protein interactions between plants and pathogens
They also investigate the molecular basis of host cell adhesion mediated by internal thioester bonds, highly unusual protein cross-links we discovered in pili from gram-positive pathogens of mammals.
ContactTel: 01603 450742
Structure-function analysis of the Fusarium oxysporum Avr2 effector allows uncoupling of its immune-suppressing activity from recognition
New Phytologist -- p--
Publisher’s version: 10.1111/nph.14733
Microbiology & Molecular Biology Reviews 81 p1-17
Publisher’s version: 10.1128/MMBR.00066-16
Current Opinion in Plant Biology 38 p25-33
Publisher’s version: 10.1016/j.pbi.2017.04.013
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 114 p2445-2446
Publisher’s version: 10.1073/pnas.1700954114
Structural basis of host Autophagy-related protein 8 (ATG8) binding by the Irish potato famine pathogen effector protein PexRD54.
Journal of Biological Chemistry 291 p20270-82
Publisher’s version: 10.1074/jbc.M116.744995
- Dr Richard Hughes Research Assistant
- Dr Marina Franceschetti Postdoctoral Scientist
- Dr Abbas Maqbool Postdoctoral Scientist
- Dr Maximiliano Jimenez Dalmaroni Postdoctoral Scientist
- Dr Sebastian Eves-van Den Akker Visiting Worker
- Freya Varden Postgraduate Student
- Josephine Maidment Postgraduate Student
- Juan De La Concepcion Postgraduate Student
- Hannah Langlands Lab Attendant
- Sarah Tolland Departmental Administrator
For media enquiries, please contact the JIC communications team 01603 450962, email@example.com