Prof Mark Banfield
Head of Department
Mark’s research focuses on plant/pathogen interactions at the molecular and cellular level.
Mark explores the structure and function of intracellular disease resistance proteins (NLRs) - plant receptors which detect non-self molecules released by pathogens on infection.
He also investigates how host-translocated pathogen effector proteins function to promote disease. Understanding the genetic and structural changes involved in plant/pathogen interactions informs novel approaches to the challenge of breeding disease resistance in crops such as potato and rice.
- Intracellular plant receptors (NLRs) for disease resistance, including engineering
- How host-translocated pathogen proteins (effectors) promote disease
- Understanding the protein interactions between plants and pathogens
They also investigate the molecular basis of host cell adhesion mediated by internal thioester bonds, highly unusual protein cross-links we discovered in pili from gram-positive pathogens of mammals.
ContactTel: 01603 450742
Arabidopsis downy mildew effector HaRxL106 suppresses plant immunity by binding to RADICAL-INDUCED CELL DEATH1.
New Phytologist 220 p232-248
Publisher’s version: 10.1111/nph.15277
Publisher’s version: 10.1038/s41477-018-0194-x
Effector gene birth in plant parasitic nematodes: Neofunctionalization of a housekeeping glutathione synthetase gene
PLoS Genetics 14 pe1007310
Publisher’s version: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1007310
Molecular plant-microbe interactions : MPMI 31 p34-45
Publisher’s version: 10.1094/MPMI-08-17-0196-FI
Structure-function analysis of the Fusarium oxysporum Avr2 effector allows uncoupling of its immune-suppressing activity from recognition
New Phytologist -- p--
Publisher’s version: 10.1111/nph.14733
- Dr Richard Hughes Research Assistant
- Dr Marina Franceschetti Postdoctoral Scientist
- Dr Abbas Maqbool Postdoctoral Scientist
- Dr Maximiliano Jimenez Dalmaroni Postdoctoral Scientist
- Dr Sebastian Eves-van Den Akker Visiting Worker
- Freya Varden Postgraduate Student
- Josephine Maidment Postgraduate Student
- Juan De La Concepcion Postgraduate Student
- Hannah Langlands Lab Attendant
- Sarah Tolland Departmental Administrator
For media enquiries, please contact the JIC communications team 01603 450962, firstname.lastname@example.org