Prof Cathie Martin
My lab has recently been co-ordinating research into the relationship between diet and health, and how crops can be fortified to improve diets and address the global challenge of escalating chronic disease.
This has included research into plants which contain natural chemical compounds, some of which are seen as ‘natural medicines.’ We are particularly interested in phenolic compounds present in fruit and vegetables and also considered to be the main ‘active ingredients’ of many ‘super foods’ and ‘super drinks’.
Examples include work researching blood oranges and purple, high anthocyanin tomatoes. For our work on tomatoes Dr Eugenio Butelli, a Post-doctoral scientist in my lab, and I were awarded the BBSRC’s Most Promising Innovator award in 2014.
To ensure that our messages about healthy eating reach consumers, I co-founded a spin-out company, Norfolk Plant Sciences, with Professor Jonathan Jones. We are working to secure the impact of our research on phytonutrients that confer improved health and reduced risk of chronic disease through food products designed to be good for consumers.
I recently appeared alongside Dara O'Briain on BBC's 'Tomorrow's Food', to explain the science behind our purple tomatoes. https://t.co/1XUyApje6K
A specialized flavone biosynthetic pathway has evolved in the medicinal plant Scutellaria baicalensis
Science Advances 2 p4
Publisher’s version: 10.1126/sciadv.1501780
Application of Pseudomonas fluorescens to Blackberry under Field Conditions Improves Fruit Quality by Modifying Flavonoid Metabolism.
PLoS One 10 pe0142639
Publisher’s version: 10.1371/journal.pone.0142639
Nature Communications 6 p8635
Publisher’s version: 10.1038/ncomms9635
New Phytologist 208 p13-9
Publisher’s version: 10.1111/nph.13532
Ectopic expression of snapdragon transcription factors facilitates the identification of genes encoding enzymes of anthocyanin decoration in tomato.
Plant Journal 83 p686-704
Publisher’s version: 10.1111/tpj.12920
- Qing Zhao Postgraduate Student
- Jie Li Postgraduate Student
- Dr Fabio D'Orso Visiting Worker
- Dario Breitel Postdoctoral Scientist
- Dr Ingo Appelhagen Postdoctoral Scientist
- Javier Galdon Armero Postgraduate Student
- Dr Angela Julia Russell Research Assistant
- Dr Nicola Love Postdoctoral Scientist
- Dr Abhimanyu Sarkar Postdoctoral Scientist
- Ellie Fearnley Postgraduate Student
- Erica Hawkins Postgraduate Student
- Yang Zhang Postdoctoral Scientist
- Peter Emmrich Postgraduate Student
- Dr Eugenio Butelli Postdoctoral Scientist
- Dr Philippe Vain Project Manager
Fellowship from the American Assciation for the Advancement of Science, 2012
For media enquiries, please contact the JIC communications team 01603 450962, firstname.lastname@example.org