Take It to the Farmer: Reflections on Delivering Genetic Gain in Wheat
In its second online event, the Borlaug Global Rust Initiative will present a series of reflections on what it means to deliver genetic gain in wheat to farmers and ways to improve the future impact of wheat research.
Keynote: “Impact of the Durable Rust Resistance in Wheat (DRRW) / and Delivering Genetic Gain in Wheat (DGGW) Projects: 12 Years of Research and Variety Adoption,” by Ronnie Coffman, BGRI vice-chair.
Videos: Wheat farmers in the UK, Kenya, Ethiopia, Nepal, India and Mexico discuss challenges they face.
Panel Discussion: Moderated by Maricelis Acevedo, associate director of science for the DGGW with BGRI wheat experts Hans Braun (CIMMYT/Mexico), Dr. Bedada Girma (EIAR/Ethiopia), Anne Gichangi (KALRO/Kenya), Vijay Vijayaraghaven (Sathguru/India), Bill Angus (Angus Wheat/UK) and Chhavi Tiwari (Harvest Plus and Banaras Hindu University/India) discuss evolving partnerships and ways to improve access to new technologies and improved wheat varieties.
“Over the last 12 years, wheat researchers have learned that it is not enough to have great research innovations and hope they make their way to farmers’ fields,” said Acevedo, “For agricultural innovations to make it the last mile into farmers’ fields, we have learned that is necessary to talk to the farmers, listen to the farmers, and work directly with the farmers. We are leveraging public-private partnerships, and tracking and exchanging germplasm across international boundaries in the ongoing fight to protect the world’s wheat.”
Join the BGRI in this interactive webinar as they explore initiatives to help wheat researchers and farmers deliver on the promise of greater food security and nutrition.
Keynote: Impact of the Durable Rust Resistance in Wheat (DRRW) / and Delivering Genetic Gain in Wheat (DGGW) Projects: 12 Years of Research and Variety Adoption
Ronnie Coffman, BGRI vice-chair
14:10 – 15:30 GMT
Panel discussion with video testimonials from wheat farmers and researchers in the UK, Kenya, Ethiopia, Nepal, India and Mexico about the challenges they face.
Selected video clips from:
- Deviprasad Aryal, Wheat Farmer, Bharatpur, Nepal
- Ramchandra Adhikari, Wheat Farmer, Bharatpur, Nepal
- Esther Chelule, Wheat Farmer, Njoro, Kenya
- Ajo Mergo, Wheat Seed Producer, Kechema Murkicha, Ethiopia
- Jesús Larraguibel Artola, President, Agricultural Research and Experimentation for Sonora – PIEAES, Ciudad Obregón, Mexico
- Gurjeet Singh Mann, Wheat Farmer, Sirsa, India
Panel Moderator: Maricelis Acevedo
- Anne Gichangi, KALRO/Kenya
- Hans Braun, CIMMYT/Mexico
- Dr. Bedada Girma, EIAR/Ethiopia
- Vijay K Vijayaraghaven, Sathguru/India
- Chhavi Tiwari, Harvest Plus and Banaras Hindu University/India
- Bill Angus, Angus Wheat/UK