Dr Cristobal Uauy
Our lab seeks to identify genes underlying wheat QTL with significant agronomic impact, understand the mechanism by which they function and using this knowledge, facilitate their effective deployment into modern breeding varieties.
We are currently using molecular genetics approaches to:
- identify the genes responsible for key yield and quality traits in UK wheat germplasm,
- understand the interaction between wheat and the yellow rust fungal pathogen
- develop genetic resources to enable effective translational research from model systems to crop species,
- enhance the pipeline to translate this new knowledge into improved wheat varieties for growers, industry and consumers.
ContactTel: 01603 450195
Scientists close the gap on devastating cereal killerread more
Wheat Diseases Conference - 22nd May 2015read more
BMC Plant Biology 9 pArt: 115
Transgenic Research 16 (6) p689-701
Publisher’s version: 10.1007/s11248-007-9150-7
Physical map of the wheat high-grain protein content gene Gpc-B1 and development of a high-throughput molecular marker.
New Phytologist 169 (4) p753-63
Publisher’s version: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01627.x
Science 314 (5803) p1298-301
Publisher’s version: 10.1126/science.1133649
The high grain protein content gene Gpc-B1 accelerates senescence and has pleiotropic effects on protein content in wheat.
Journal of Experimental Botany 57 (11) p2785-94
Publisher’s version: 10.1093/jxb/erl047
Wheat Grain Filling Is Limited by Grain Filling Capacity rather than the Duration of Flag Leaf Photosynthesis: A Case Study Using NAM RNAi Plants.
PLoS ONE (8)
Publisher’s version: 10.1371/journal.pone.0134947
Genetics online ponline
Publisher’s version: 10.1534/genetics.115.176628
New Phytologist online (onlne) ponline
Publisher’s version: 10.1111/nph.13533
Wheat Stripe Rust Resistance Protein WKS1 Reduces the Ability of the Thylakoid-Associated Ascorbate Peroxidase to Detoxify Reactive Oxygen Species.
Plant Cell in press pin press
Publisher’s version: 10.1105/tpc.114.134296
- Nikolai Adamski Postdoctoral Scientist
- Momina Hussain Visiting Worker
- Peter Scott Support Specialist
- Tobin Florio Research Assistant
- James Simmonds Research Assistant
- Oluwaseyi Shorinola Postgraduate Student
- Dr Marianna Pasquariello Research Assistant
- Dr Clare Lewis Research Assistant
- Amelia Frizell-Armitage Postgraduate Student
- Jemima Florence Brinton Postgraduate Student
- Dr Philippa Borrill Research Fellow
- Elle Lewis-Smedley Lab Attendant
For media enquiries, please contact the JIC communications team 01603 450962, email@example.com
Media experience: print media and radio interviews (recorded preferred / live or recorded)