The John Innes Foundation
John Innes Foundation (JIF) is an independent charity (registered Charity No. 1111527) and a company limited by guarantee (registered no. 5574485) that was formed in 1910 following a bequest from John Innes, a merchant in the City of London.
In 1910 the trustees of the Foundation founded the John Innes Horticultural Institution at Merton, London.
In 1945 the Institution moved to Bayfordbury, Hertfordshire, and then, in 1966-67 to its present site in Colney, Norfolk.
In April 1994 the John Innes Institute, Cambridge Laboratory and Nitrogen Fixation Laboratory were merged to form the John Innes Centre (JIC). As part of the arrangements for the merger, the Trustees of the John Innes Foundation gifted the assets of the John Innes Institute to JIC and leased the Norwich site to JIC for 50 years at an annual rental of one tree.
The JIF also owns the land and buildings at Newfound Farm, Colney and Church Farm, Bawburgh, Norfolk. The Trustees play an active part in the management of JIC research programmes through their involvement in the Governing Council. The Trustees provide direct support for JIC's research and training, principally through sponsorship of several graduate studentships each year, and their support for educational programmes and the infrastructure of the site.
The Trustees also sponsor a huge collection of archive material, the History of Genetics Library and "Special Collection" of rare botanical books.
For further details see www.johninnesfoundation.org.uk