Prof Giles Oldroyd
Cell and Developmental Biology
The ability to take up mineral nutrients, particularly nitrogen and phosphorus, is generally the major limitation to plant growth. Because of this farmers apply nitrogen and phosphorus through fertiliser application to promote crop growth. Sustained yields are dependent on this fertiliser application, but it comes at a high price, both in the cost of the fertiliser and the environmental damage that results from its use.
A number of plant species have evolved beneficial interactions with micro-organisms that facilitate the uptake of these nutrients. Legumes form symbiotic interactions with arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi that facilitate phosphate uptake and with rhizobial bacteria that provide the plant with a source of nitrogen. The establishment of these symbioses involves a conserved symbiosis signalling pathway. This signalling pathway is present in most plant species, including cereals, as the arbuscular mycorrhizal association is widespread.
Our work focuses on understanding the signalling mechanisms that allow the associations with these beneficial micro-organisms and the use of this information to transfer the nitrogen-fixing capability from legumes to cereal crops. Our work has implications for global agriculture, but we are most interested in the application of our work to benefit small-holder farmers in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Plant Journal 81 (2) p258-67
Publisher’s version: 10.1111/tpj.12723
The Root Hair "Infectome" of Medicago truncatula Uncovers Changes in Cell Cycle Genes and Reveals a Requirement for Auxin Signaling in Rhizobial Infection.
Plant Cell 26 p46804701
Publisher’s version: 10.1105/tpc.114.133496
ABA promotion of arbuscular mycorrhizal colonization requires a component of the PP2A Protein Phosphatase Complex.
Publisher’s version: 10.1104/pp.114.246371
A H+-ATPase That Energizes Nutrient Uptake during Mycorrhizal Symbioses in Rice and Medicago truncatula[
Journal of Experimental Botany 65 (8) p1939-46
Publisher’s version: 10.1093/jxb/eru098
- Dr Hikota Miyazawa Postdoctoral Scientist
- Dr Pierre-Marc Delaux Postdoctoral Scientist
- Katharina Schiessl Postdoctoral Scientist
- Dr Irina Demina Postdoctoral Scientist
- Dr Jongho Sun Research Assistant
- Sylvia Singh Postdoctoral Scientist
- Guru Vighnesh Radhakrishnan Postgraduate Student
- Dr Ponraj Paramasivan Postdoctoral Scientist
- Dr Ben Miller Visiting Worker
- Leonie Luginbuehl Postgraduate Student
- Dr Jodi Lilley Postdoctoral Scientist
- Dr Feng Feng Postdoctoral Scientist
- Jian Feng Postdoctoral Scientist
- Jose Nuno De Araujo Leitao Postgraduate Student
- Dr Myriam Charpentier Postdoctoral Scientist
- Dr Akira Akamatsu Postdoctoral Scientist
European Research Council Young Investigator, 2009 - present
President's Medal, Society of Experimental Biology, 2006
European Molecular Biology Organisation Young Investigator Award, 2005-08
Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award, 2002-05
BBSRC David Phillips Fellow, 2002-07
For media enquiries, please contact the JIC communications team 01603 450962, firstname.lastname@example.org