We offer a range of family friendly initiatives, in addition to parental leave, aimed at supporting staff and students who maintain responsibilities as a carer alongside their role.
- On-site nursery – the on-site Norwich Research Park Nursery is available for Staff and Students. Take a video tour of the nursery below
- A Family/Dependant Support Fund – providing help with caring costs to support participation in conferences, workshops and training events
- Extending the Tenure Clock following compelling personal circumstances (childbirth, adoption, severe personal illness, significant responsibilities with respect to elder, spousal or partner and dependant care obligations) or where a key member of the research group is absent for an extended period that may impact on a tenure-track Project Leader’s trajectory
- A Project Leader Carer fund – providing additional staff resource for Project Leaders whilst on maternity, adoption or shared parental leave, ensuring their research programme is not detrimentally affected by their carer leave
- Institute support for the extension of Fixed Term Contracts following Parental Leave in certain circumstances. Set up to minimise the potential impact of parental leave on an employee’s personal accomplishments, their ability to fulfil their scientific objectives or career aspirations, particularly where parental leave occurs towards the end of a Fixed Term Contract
- Parent and Carers Group – the group meets monthly providing a support network for parents and carers with children of all ages (and parents to be) for friendship and advice on nurseries and schools etc. This Group also provides feedback on the experience of parent/carers working at the John Innes Centre, and helps identify initiatives that could improve this experience
- A welfare suite including facilities for nursing mothers
- Family friendly meeting times – key events and meetings at times outside of the ‘school run’ and where possible only in school term time
Our Athena SWAN Gold award has family friendly initiatives at its heart and recognises our commitment to a culture that provides equal opportunity, enabling every researcher to fulfil their potential.