Rare and unexpected
Our historic collections are diverse and include some fascinating and unusual items.
Unusual items in the collections include:
- Letters by Charles Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace
- Hand-drawn maps of bomb strikes near the Institute during WW2
- Boxes of horticultural medals
- An early calculating machine
- Letters from James Archibald Innes to his sister during the Boer War
Our earliest records include the Court Rolls and Court Books of the Manor of Merton (1701-1928), and material relating to John Innes’ many business interests in Merton, the first home of the John Innes Horticultural Institution.
What treasures will you find on your visit?