As the John Innes Centre Postgraduate Research Director, Steph has academic oversight of over 100 postgraduate research students.
He also runs the Rotation PhD Programme.
With over twenty years of experience of running a research group at the Centre, his expertise focusses on bacterial and plant enzymes of relevance to human diseases, plant-microbial symbiosis signalling and plant disease responses.
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Biology since 2018
- Honorary Professor, School of Biological Sciences, University of East Anglia, since 2018
- John Innes Centre Postgraduate Research Director since 2016
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry since 2016
- Rotation PhD Programme Tutor since 2014
- Chair of JIC Section of Prospect Trade Union, 2013-2015
- Associate Head of John Innes Centre Biological Chemistry Department 2005-2017
- Chartered Scientist since 2005
- Chartered Chemist since 2000
- Project Leader, John Innes Centre 1996-2017
- Post-doctoral fellow, University of Sussex 1993-1995
- PhD Biological Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, University of Warwick 1992
- Member of Biochemical Society since 1989
- Enzymes in the manufacture of Splenda, Tate & Lyle Research & Technology, Reading 1987-1989
- MSc Applied Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University College London 1987
- BSc Biochemistry, King’s College London 1986
Rashid A. M., Batey S. F., Syson K., Koliwer-Brandl H., Miah F., Barclay J. E., Findlay K. C., Nartowski K. P., Khimyak Y. Z., Kalscheuer R., Bornemann S. (2016)The assembly of alpha-glucan by GlgE and GlgB in mycobacteria and streptomycetes.Biochemistry (55)Publisher's version: 0006-2960
Syson K., Stevenson C. E., Miah F., Barclay J. E., Tang M., Gorelik A., Rashid A. M., Lawson D. M., Bornemann S. (2016)Ligand-bound structures and site-directed mutagenesis identify the acceptor and secondary binding sites of Streptomyces coelicolor maltosyltransferase GlgE.Journal of Biological Chemistry (291)Publisher's version: 0021-9258
Koliwer-Brandl H., Syson K., van de Weerd R., Chandra G., Appelmelk B., Alber M., Ioerger T. R., Jacobs W. R., Geurtsen J., Bornemann S., Kalscheuer R. (2016)Metabolic network for the biosynthesis of intra- and extracellular alpha-glucans required for virulence of Mycobacterium tuberculosisPLoS Pathogens (12)Publisher's version: 1553-7366