Ruby supports scientists to effectively communicate their findings using printed and digital media such as posters, videos and animations. She also manages our Instagram account sharing any visually exciting images from the John Innes Centre.
Alongside external communication, she also manages internal communication channels such as the institute monthly newsletter.
Having previously worked in the lab at the Sainsbury Laboratory which is also on the Norwich Research Park, Ruby uses her scientific background to make complex or challenging scientific concepts accessible.
She is passionate about communicating all the exciting science that happens at the John Innes Centre in as engaging ways as possible to ensure that it reaches a wide audience. Ruby recently received an UEA Achievement Public Engagement Award for her production of animations explaining fundamental research along with work to initiate and manage external collaborations, such as with Norwich University of the Arts and Science Gallery Bengaluru, India.
Recent projects include;
- Recording and editing Dippy the Dinosaur in Norwich: The Evolution of Land Plants
- Working with Dr Xiaoqi Feng to produce an explainer about how information beyond the genetic sequence is encoded in plant sperm
- Working with Professor Robert Sablowski to produce an animation about how cells measure themselves
- Producing, filming and editing a video about visiting researcher Dr Nitin Kamble and work sharing and studying the science of starch.
- Producing remotely the launch video for the Norwich Institute of Sustainable Development with partners across UEA and the Norwich Research Park
- Working with the Crop Transformation team and Professor Cristobal Uauy to produce an accessible explainer animation about gene editing in plants
- Producing and editing a video about our future vision : Healthy Plants, Healthy People, Healthy Planet
- Collaborating with the Norwich University of the Arts Illustration course for second year illustration students to communicate our science
Baggs EL,Monroe JG,Thanki AS,O'Grady R,Schudoma C,Haerty W,Krasileva KV (2020)Convergent Loss of an EDS1/PAD4 Signaling Pathway in Several Plant Lineages Reveals Coevolved Components of Plant Immunity and Drought Response.The Plant cell (32)Publisher's version: 1040-4651