The John Innes Centre delivers social and economic impact in areas that align with BBSRC’s strategic priorities for: agriculture and food security; industrial biotechnology and bioenergy; and bioscience for health.
JIC’s ambition is to fulfil its mission and be an exemplar through both science and Knowledge Exchange and Commercialisation (KEC) excellence.
The KEC strategic vision is:
To drive the excellent science pursued at the John Innes Centre to achieve maximum benefits for society, the UK economy and to constructively inform policy.
The principles that guide and support our KEC strategy are:
- To make the delivery and communication of impact integral to our work.
- To develop close and effective working relationships with users of our science, capabilities, insights and expertise including business, third sector and policy makers.
- To ensure JIC is open to new ideas, external contacts and relationships.
- To maintain the freedom to pursue our research interests for the wider benefit of society.
- To seek fair and appropriate recognition and rewards for JIC and its staff.
- To exploit our research for the benefit of the region, UK and internationally.
To deliver our strategy, the following objectives will be pursued:
- Champion impact - through industrial research and third sector collaborations, consultancy and contract research, technology platforms and facilities, commercialisation, policy and international activity.
- Strengthen Networks - between JIC science, business and third sector organisations, policy influencers and makers and investment providers.
- Roles and Expectations - provide clarity within JIC with respect to KEC.
- Embed KEC Culture - under the leadership of the Director.
- Nurture capability - by encouraging early career scientists.
The primary focus of our strategy is to build high quality relationships with organisations to enable the full exploitation of our science outcomes, stimulating further scientific questions and creating opportunities for collaborative funding and industrial collaborations and the development of new undertakings.
Our aim is to increase our impact and its visibility both within and beyond the John Innes Centre.
Contact the KEC team:
Dr Jonathan Clarke
Head of Business Development